Sunday, January 16, 2011

Cross Country Skiing

Exciting news in the life of Travis Zurcher, I have now learned a brand new sport, cross country skiing!  Granted it's not the most exciting sport of all time, but when you consider some of my other favorites like golf and baseball I guess it kind of fits right in with what I'm all about.  Anyways, finally something that got me outside and enjoying the snow for the majority of the day, not an easy task, I must admit, but definitely accomplished.  So now the question is this, could I be convinced to become a winter person.  A very interesting thought indeed seeing as since as far back as I can remember I've never been a fan of the snow or winter.  Sure as a kid I would make snowmen and snowforts, throwing snowballs at friends and having a good time.  But I always remember suffering through winter to make it back to the glorious days of summer.  In fact many times I recall people at the end of summer saying that they were excited for winter and were done with all this hot weather for a little while.  I also recall thinking to myself that such a thought was ludicrous because summer was in every way better than winter. "But you can always put on more layers in the cold, you can only take off so many", someone would say to me in defense of winter.  Right, because there's nothing I love more than putting on two shirts, a sweater, a jacket, scarf, gloves and a hat just to be "comfortable" outside.  And I also am skeptical to the fact that such amounts of clothing is in fact comfortable, because to me shorts, a t-shirt and some sandals is the ideal amount of clothes.  Too hot?  Try going inside in the A/C for a little bit, or maybe you can take a dip in a body of water of sorts.  Here's an idea, in the summer the shade is much cooler, relax in it while sipping a nice lemonade.  So what's the point, well at first it was to analyze whether finding enough fun winter activities could change my mind about loving summer so very much more, but now it seems quite obvious to me after my rant about how much better summer is.  No amount of fun winter activities will ever change my mind because summer is just that much better, period.  Even if I were to discover a plethora of fun filled wintery stuffs, the absolute best solution is a week or so out of the year where I visit somewhere cold, and then head back to some hot wonderous desert where winter is only a fairytale.

No comments:

Post a Comment